Fabric and materials:
3 yards striped cotton seersucker
1 yard white muslin for bodice lining
Pink buttons left over from the jumper I made my cousin
Skirt: Simplicity New Look 6557
This dress actually began in 2007 when I decided I wanted a fun dress for summer. I bought the material, cut it out, and assembled the bodice before completely losing interest in it. I threw it aside and promptly forgot about it.
It was on a recent trip to JCrew where I tried on this gorgeous white seersucker dress. However, the price was a little steep for a poor college student, and I just couldn't convince myself to buy it. I figured I could make the same dress for about 1/3 the cost. As I left the store, plans were being formed to make a seersucker dress. Cue memory. I suddenly realized that I had a seersucker dress, waiting to be completed! A week later I was home for spring break where I spent the entire time sewing. And in a few days I had my very own seersucker dress.
I took the bodice pattern from (insernt pattern here) and flat-lined it with muslin. I decided not to line the skirt since I have a white cotton skirt that I wear as a slip all the time, so I decided I would just wear that with this dress. I attached the skirt to the bodice, added an invisible zipper in the back (in yellow because it's fun!) and added straps to the bodice. I was thinking about keeping it strapless, but I wanted this to be a fun play dress and not have to worry about keeping it up.
To finish it off, I added two rows of skinny orange ribbon to the bottom of the skirt, and to the top of the bodice. It needed a little more so I added the two pink buttons that were left over from the Girl's Jumper that I made my cousin. I thought it gave it a fun, whimsical look with all the colors. I also bought a wider orange and yellow ribbon to tie around the waist, but it is not pictured below.