red floral summer dress
Fabric and materials:
3 yards Floral printed cotton
3 yards White lining
Black lace and trim
Simplicity New Look 6557
After realizing that I had no dressy summer clothes I decided that I needed a new dress. I began didn't really have a plan for this dress, I just knew I wanted something light and cotton. I had just thought of the idea and didn't have any set plans when I was suddenly struck with inspiration while I was at work. I was staring at these red blazers we had which I loved but they were too big to fit me. So as I was sitting there, willing them to be smaller it suddenly came to me. I would make a black and white summer dress and make my own red blazer to go over it. So now I had a color scheme, but still no pattern.
I looked all over for black and white cotton fabric that I could make into a dress, but I couldn't find any I really liked. I wanted it to be white with a black pattern and not too busy. After a few unsucessful days of looking online and in fabric stores, I saw this white cotton with a red floral motif. I debated for a while and finally decided to change the color scheme a bit. I decided that since I couldn't find anything better, I would make a red and white dress with a black blazer. So I bought the fabric. A few days after that I was able to find a pattern that I liked. Unfortunatly, the pattern I liked had the dress on the cover in the same kind of red and white fabric that I had. I usually hate it when people copy a pattern word for word and even make it out of the same material that is shown on the outside. I think it shows a lack of creativity. But I really liked the dress, and I had already bought the fabric, not knowing that it was similar to the pattern. So I decided that I would make mine a little different from the package, just to be creative.
I half followed the directions on the pattern and half made up my own. I flatlined the white cotton with the white lining to make it less see-through and put in an invisible zipper in the back. I then sewed the dress together. I went back and forth on whether to add black trim or not, but after some online advice, I decided to go with my first idea and stick with the trim. I also found this 1 1/2 inch black lace trim at Joann's which I hand sewed around the hem at the bottom. I still have to attach the straps in the back, but other than that, the dress is done!
This dress has been done for a few weeks now, but I finally got around to taking pictures of the finished product.