black boucle winter coat
Finished: November 2006
Fabric and materials:
Black, pink, and white boucle fabric ~ 6 yards
Black cotton flannel ~ 6 yards
Pink lining ~ 5 yards
I'm trying to make this coat while in school and it's proving difficult to find time. However, I had fall break this weekend with 4 days off so I began working on the coat. I was able to make the muslin in one night, and I didn't have too much to adjust. I'm not really planning on altering this coat too much. I also cut out the boucle and the flannel but I don't have any pictures of that.
After buying the boucle fabric I realized that it would be too cold to make a coat out of just that fabric, so I decided to flatline the pieces with black flannel. I was able to cut out all the pieces and sew them together before my fall break was over. Back at school I really don't have much time, but over the weekend I was able to start sewing the pieces together.
In these pictures the back is just pinned together. I have to line up the stripes or else it will bother me to no end.
Well as is typical for me, I forgot to line up the plaid before I sewed it together, so I spent 10 minutes picking out all the stitches and lining it up so the plaid matched. So this time the back is sewn together correctly, and here is proof:
I attached the collar and the sleeves. The coat is probably about half done, I still have to cut out and assemble the lining and sew it in. I can't decide if I want to use frog closings or use large buttons to close the front. Right now I'm leaning towards large buttons, but I'm not positive.
I assembled the lining and sewed it into the coat -the lining is cheap pink polyester from JoAnns. I sewed the lining into the coat and decided to use buttons for the closure.
I finished the coat on Wednesday night just before Thanksgiving. I hemmed the bottom and the sleeves. I decided to use three buttons to close it so I made button holes using the fancy button holer on my sewing machine. I am declaring this coat finished!